article by Julia on January 24, 2011
- 800g canned butter beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 700g jar passata
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 700g squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
For the Crumble
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 25g walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry for 10 mins until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, passata, mixed herbs, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 mins.
- Add the squash and cook for a further 20 mins. Adjust seasoning if required.
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Stir the butter beans into the sauce, and then transfer into a 2.5 litre casserole dish.
- Mix together all the crumble ingredients plus the 2 remaining tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle over the beans.
- Bake for 30 mins until the topping is golden and crisp.
This really is delicious. It feeds 6, but as there are only 2 of us I transfer into 3 gratin dishes, top with crumble and then freeze 2 of the dishes for quick ready meals. They just need defrosting and then the final cook in the oven. Serve with fresh green beans and broccoli for a dinner less than 500 calories but packed full of vitamins.